Tuesday 5 August 2014

Curiosity Cabinet 2 - Upcycling

The other day I got a bargain, an old display cabinet for a tenner!  It had CC2 written on it, which I can only guess means Curiosity Cabinet 2.  Here it is, complete with rust...

Looks like it's been extended at some point in the past by adding more wood to the front.  I started by sanding it and quickly discovered it was made out of many different types of wood and veneered wood.
I decided to stain it in Walnut to match the decor of the room.  However, as all the woods were different each surface took the stain differently ending up with a result that didn't look that good, so I decided to go with it and take the look further, distressing it with thin sandpaper and a razor blade.
The finished look is a "well weathered" walnut coloured cabinet, which looks much better in person than in these pictures...
Currently home to my collection of geeky things.  Yes that Star Wars and Star Trek in the same cabinet!  It is possible to like both, just ask Simon Pegg.  That's the beauty of the human mind, the ability to hold two conflicting ideas at the same time ... actually that's what went wrong with HAL9000 isn't it?  The inability to compute the conflicting information ... "Open the pod bay doors HAL."  ... Okay, I'll stop now :)


No comments:

Post a Comment