Friday 15 April 2011

New Vinyl: Foo Fighters - Wasting Light

My copy of the Foo Fighters new album 'Wasting Light' arrived this morning courtesy of HMV (I cancelled my previous Amazon pre-order as they were being total asses about their inability to fulfil pre-orders).

Beautifully presented on heavy weight vinyl. I put it on the record player and my initial reaction, was "Okay. This sounds a bit weird." Then Grohl's voice kicked in very slow and low and I quickly realised I was playing a 45rpm record at 33rpm! Which explains why it's presented on 2 discs. I'm guessing this is obtain a higher quality than 33rpm.

After changing the belt on my Project turnatble to the 45rpm setting, the album sounded more familiar (I've been having a sneek preview on the Foo's Soundcloud [soundcloud.com/foofighters] this week).


Produced by Butch Vig, Recorded in Grohl's garage on 2" analogue tape through an API 1608, mixed by Alan Moulder. This is the type of album that I would like to engineer myself.

The entire process of recording, mixing and mastering has been blogged by the band on twitter [twitter.com/foofighters] and yfrog [yfrog.com/user/foofighters/profile]. Providing an excellent insight into the processes involved, together with the usual Foo Fighter's comedy excerpts.

This is absolutely classic Foo Fighters.

No comments:

Post a Comment