Friday 8 April 2011

New Vinyl: J Mascis - Several Shades of Why

I just managed to catch the postie this morning before he carded me.

So I am currently listening to the mellower side of J Mascis (of Dinosaur Jr.) on vinyl. The Sub-Pop release of 'Several Shades of Why' on coloured vinyl.

I first got into music during the late 80s/early 90's so I like to support labels like Sub-Pop [subpop.com].

The vinyl included a little piece of paper with a download code to download the mp3 versions which are now safely copied onto my iPhone for on-the-go listening, together with a PDF version of the sleeve notes which was a nice touch.

The record looks great, the artwork is by an artist called Marq Spusta [marqspusta.com].

What's up with these tightly fitting modern vinyl sleeves?!? It took me a whole five minutes to carefully ease the actual record out of the gate-fold sleeve this morning.

The record is really mellow and is dominated by vocal and acoustic guitar with electric guitars and a whole host of guests playing instruments such as violins, dobro, clarinet, flute and even a saw.

It's currently on repeat on my record player.

No comments:

Post a Comment